Thoughts For the Future

What is there to do with an art career? A constantly thought about question surfs through my mind on a daily basis. Illustration, Freelance, Art Director, Concept Artist, Design, Photography, Museum careers, etc. But what is it that I want to do? I'm twenty one and I'm still not completely sure. I might want to work in a museum and get some experience in Dallas. Possibilities are endless, but will fate decide?

I'm pretty skilled in photography, drawing, painting, and designing things. I've seen my peers try to design logos, and I can't help but laugh internally as they try to create logos from cheap phone apps instead of Adobe Illustrator. I have the capacity to design such things, but I have so much fear built up that keeps me from finding my dream job.

I don't even know if I should be worrying about these things. So I distract myself with things that have nothing to do with art. Eventually life is gonna hit me in the face and force me to get my life on track. (When I graduate) What am I to do then? I'm a junior in college, almost a senior. I have to start doing something quickly. All I know right now is that I should get my art into galleries. Maybe apply, apply, apply until someone accepts my work. Dreams...

Whenever someone I don't know asks me about my major, I feel like they are always laughing at me on the inside. I feel disappointed in myself for some reason, because they don't seem to think highly of me for doing something that I'm passionate about. It's sad that I have to live my life worrying about what other people think of my career. "What do you plan on doing with your major?" "How is that gonna work?" "You wanna be a starving artist?" "How is that gonna help you as a career?" Sometimes I just wanna know how to respond without sounding like I don't know what I'm doing. The sad thing is that I DON'T. But is it entirely my fault that I don't know what I'm doing? In high school and college, no one tells you what you can do with an art career. They just say "Oh, there's too many things that can be called 'art'." I understand that, but can we get into details???



No comments:

Post a Comment